Soothe your stressed-out skin with the power of flowers
Soothing, hydrating and cooling, calendula petals have been at the heart of Kiehl’s bestselling products since the 1960s, from the classic toner to the new masque, a favourite of Vanessa Hudgens
When, centuries ago, people began to use calendula petals in their skin treatments, they didn’t know why they worked. All they knew was that the golden petals could soothe and soften their skin, and hydrate it too – which is why it became a key ingredient in Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine.
Fast-forward to the 1960s and KIehl’s took a leaf (or more precisely, a petal) from the TCM recipe book. The brand is committed to sourcing the finest natural ingredients that are efficacious. With this in mind, it created Calendula Herbal Extract Toner ($59-$90), a gentle, alcohol-free toner that soothes, refreshes and rebalances skin.
At its heart were calendula petals, which the brand had discovered were rich in polysaccharides, saponins and flavonoids, all of which are known for their skin-soothing properties. The flowers were – and continue to be – grown without pesticides, the petals handpicked in August, kept intact and sun-dried in open air. The formulation remains the number-one selling product for Kiehl’s.
In 2014, the brand introduced Calendula Deep Foaming Face Wash ($47), a gentle gel cleanser that’s now the brand’s global number-one cleanser. Now, the range is complete with the Calendula & Aloe Soothing Hydration Masque ($62).
In this, the handpicked petals –150 in every jar – are combined with cooling aloe vera. This is traditionally used in herbal medicine to soothe skin. It also hydrates and increases the water content in skin. Apply it after the toner – it gives a burst of moisture on application, refreshing, revitalising, cooling and hydrating skin.
After just five minutes, rinse it away with warm water. 98 per cent of consumer tests said that their skin was immediately refreshed and after two weeks, it felt replenished and looked healthier.
The gel masque has chamomile and lemon essential oils to give it a soothing, fresh aroma, and is free from colourants and parabens. Use it three times a week, or as a pampering pick-me-up after a flight, stressful day or even the morning after a sleepless night. And if you’re already a fan, you’re in good company: Stars including Vanessa Hudgens swear by the product.
1. To get the most out of your mask, cleanse thoroughly and exfoliate before y apply it – dirt or dead skin on your face can stop the mask’s ingredients being absorbed effectively.
2. If you have a couple of different issues – for example, dull skin that’s also dehydrated – why not use a couple of masks in a single sesh? Start with Kiehl’s Turmeric & Cranberry Seed Energizing Radiance Masque ($49) to give an immediate brightening boost, then follow up with the Calendula and Aloe Masque.
3. Been caught out in the sun and feeling the burn? Chill your Calendula and Aloe Masque ($62) in the fridge for half an hour before application. Voila! Instant cooling and soothing.
JUST FOR YOU
Buy one masque to get a complimentary limited-edition brush (applying masks with a brush gives more even coverage).
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!
Pick up a complimentary sample of NEW Calendula & Aloe Soothing Hydration Masque at https://goo.gl/MqQla2
Latest in Sponsored
Brought to you by Kiehl's
- /Find out what Singaporean men really think about cellulite on women
- /The Daiso of Dim Sum: Only $1.30 per plate, how does the food at Woodlands fare?
- /Yes, you can dye your hair at home... you just need to pick the right colour kit
- /7 lobangs to get free foods and makeup services in Singapore
- /These are the three kinds of boots you should be wearing this season
- /Top 10 funniest moments behind the 2017 Singapore Grand Prix