Deconstructed, messy and organic. They’re just some of the adjectives used to describe the somewhat unkempt hairdos at Proenza Schouler’s Spring/Summer 12 show.
And while the look might have led hairdresser Paul Hanlon to brand the styles “borderline bad-taste,” fashion bloggers have instead labelled the look “creative and simply gorgeous”.
This laidback Proenza style is for anyone who wants to look on-trend but not too try-hard.
And as with everything that looks effortless, it takes something of an effort to achieve.
Here’s how to do it.
1. Start by applying a heat protective spray or hair oil at the lengths.
2. Curl hair with a medium sized tong. Start at the nape of the neck and work your way upwards. When the curls have cooled down, spray a little bit of hair spray on a hairbrush and brush carefully through the locks. By letting the hair cool down you will keep the curls even when brushing through them.
3. Apply volume powder at the roots to mattify hair and to give body to the hair.
4. Pin sections of hair at the back of the head. Don’t worry too much about the end result – the style is supposed to look messy. Leave some strands loose, preferably ones close to the face.
5. Add some attitude. "The Proenza girl is so confident in the way she looks," Hanlon said. "If you have the confidence, you can pull off anything." © Cover Media