BigBang rapper T.O.P remains "unconscious" but is likely to recover in a week, medical staff said at a press conference on Wednesday, June 7, 2017.
The clarification from doctors at Ewha Womans University Medical Center came after a flurry of conflicting reports about the singer's condition in the South Korean media.
T.O.P, 29, had been taken to hospital for an alleged drug overdose on Tuesday. The urine test showed the substance he had taken was benzodiazepine, a prescribed tranquilliser used to fight anxiety, doctors said, adding that he had taken too much of it.
"When T.O.P was brought into the hospital he was in a state of stupor and deep drowsiness and only responded to very strong stimulations. His blood pressure and heartbeat were at extremely high levels," they said. "He is still not breathing properly and is recovering. We are currently attempting to treat him but he's in an unresponsive state."
A dispute arose over the singer's exact condition, after the police announced that he was not in a critical condition, but was only asleep after taking a drug with sleep-inducing effects. They also said it was fake news that he was unconcious.
His mother contradicted their explanation, saying her son had been taken to the hospital unconscious and was still in bad shape.
This story first appeared on The Straits Times on June 8, 2017.