PHOTOGRAPHY The Straits Times
By Cynthia Low
2 sheets store-bought frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
1 small head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
250ml thickened cream
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbs olive oil
150g grated cheddar cheese
2 tbs finely chopped fresh dill or parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, finely chopped
100g bacon or ham, finely chopped
Baking weights for pre-baking the pastry case (dried beans can also be used as weights)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C. Grease a 23cm flan dish. Line the dish with the thawed pastry sheets, trim the excess and cool in the fridge for 20min. Cover the pastry with baking paper and fill the case with baking weights or dried beans and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 10min.
2. Remove the weights and paper and bake for another 3-4min until the pastry is dry and golden. Remove and allow to cool.
3. Place the cauliflower florets in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and let simmer for about 4min. Drain and set aside to cool.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs, cream and spices together. Sir in half the cheese, the chopped dill or parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Heat the oil in a fry pan and cook the onion and bacon for 3-4minover medium heat until the onion is soft and bacon is starting to crisp. Remove from the heat and let cool for a while.
6. Spread the bacon and onion mixture over the bottom of the baked pastry case, then place the cauliflower florets on top. Pour over the egg mixture, then top with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 30min, until set and golden.
This story was originally published in The Sunday Times, September 13, 2015.