CUPCAKE RECIPE Adapted from Cuisine Paradise (www.ellenaguan.com) COORDINATION Mia Chenyze PHOTOGRAPHY Darren Chang ART DIRECTION & STYLING Nikki Ho
For the cupcake:
160g wholemeal flour
1⁄4 tsp baking soda
1⁄2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
150g unsalted butter
100g + 2 tbsp gula melaka, shaved
1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
175g bananas, roughly mashed
For the brown butter glaze:
110g unsalted butter
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 to 3 tbsp whole milk
1. Preheat the oven to 160 deg C. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a bowl, and set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and 100g gula melaka until the mixture is light brown and the gula melaka has dissolved. Smear a little between your thumb and index finger to check for graininess.
3. Add eggs one at a time, then the vanilla extract. Mix in the flour. Stir in the bananas.
4. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill each cup to three-quarters full. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 2 tbsp gula melaka.
5. Bake for 20min. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
6. To make the brown butter, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. It will foam and crackle. Once the crackling stops, keep cooking until it turns a dark golden brown. Don’t leave it unattended as it can become burnt in seconds. Pour the brown butter into a bowl to cool, leaving any burnt bits behind.
7. Mix the icing sugar, vanilla extract and 2 tbsp milk in a bowl. Add the brown butter and stir until smooth. If you like a thinner glaze, add 1 tbsp more milk. Spoon the glaze over each cupcake.
This article was first published in Simply Her September 2015.