Cased within these crispy shells and filled with creamy, meaty goodness, these chicken pies are such wonderful treats. With this easy recipe, you can have your hearty pastry delight petite-sized; the perfect finger food option for a group picnic or a tea-time snack.
You don’t need to prepare everything from scratch either. Use a can of Campbell’s soup and some store-bought puff pastry and you’ll be able to prepare these pies in a jiffy. This recipe makes 12 pies.
1 can Campbell’s Country Style Mushroom Chicken Soup
11⁄2 can water
11⁄2 tbsp plain flour
1 bowl shredded roast chicken
200g Bird’s Eye frozen Classic
Mixed Vegetables, defrosted
1 packet Pampas Butter Puff Pastry
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with
1 tbsp water to make an egg wash
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C. Brush a 12-cup muffin tray with butter.
- Mix the mushroom chicken soup, water and flour in a saucepan and bring it to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the roast chicken and vegetables and boil for 1min. Turn off the heat.
- Cut out 12 pieces of puff pastry; you can use a bowl to create the shape. The pieces should be large enough to fill the inside of the muffin cup, with some extra over the side.
- Mould the puff pastry into the muffin cups. Pour the mushroom soup filling into each one until it’s almost full.
- Using a smaller bowl, cut another 12 pieces of puff pastry to cover each pie. Pinch the sides of the pastry together to seal.
- Brush each pie top with the egg wash and prick the middle with a fork. This lets the steam escape and prevents the filling from spilling out when baked.
- Bake in the oven for 20min, until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove the pies from the oven and cool before turning them out.
This article was originally published in SimplyHer March 2011.