Recipe: Mini chicken pie
Cased within these crispy shells and filled with creamy, meaty goodness, these chicken pies are such wonderful treats. With this easy recipe, you can have your hearty pastry delight petite-sized; the perfect finger food option for a group picnic or a tea-time snack.
You don’t need to prepare everything from scratch either. Use a can of Campbell’s soup and some store-bought puff pastry and you’ll be able to prepare these pies in a jiffy. This recipe makes 12 pies.
1 can Campbell’s Country Style Mushroom Chicken Soup
11⁄2 can water
11⁄2 tbsp plain flour
1 bowl shredded roast chicken
200g Bird’s Eye frozen Classic
Mixed Vegetables, defrosted
1 packet Pampas Butter Puff Pastry
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with
1 tbsp water to make an egg wash
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C. Brush a 12-cup muffin tray with butter.
- Mix the mushroom chicken soup, water and flour in a saucepan and bring it to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the roast chicken and vegetables and boil for 1min. Turn off the heat.
- Cut out 12 pieces of puff pastry; you can use a bowl to create the shape. The pieces should be large enough to fill the inside of the muffin cup, with some extra over the side.
- Mould the puff pastry into the muffin cups. Pour the mushroom soup filling into each one until it’s almost full.
- Using a smaller bowl, cut another 12 pieces of puff pastry to cover each pie. Pinch the sides of the pastry together to seal.
- Brush each pie top with the egg wash and prick the middle with a fork. This lets the steam escape and prevents the filling from spilling out when baked.
- Bake in the oven for 20min, until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove the pies from the oven and cool before turning them out.
This article was originally published in SimplyHer March 2011.